Wednesday 14 March 2012

Almost Everyone


When I ask locals how come they speak English so well , I get one of two answers: (1) I lived in the US/Australia/Canada/UK for a while, or (2) I am lazy and watch a lot of TV.

On the treadmill at the gym, I search for a TV channel that has English subtitles (the trick is to find a Russian or French channel, as they will have subtitles in English and Hebrew). Since I am struggling with figuring out how to practice my Hebrew, I decided to try approach #2 but in reverse.  So today, since I could not find any Russian or French channels, I decided to try approach #2 and watch an American show with Hebrew subtitles. I am pleased to report I was able to read the first few words of each screen! So while I didn’t have a clue what the show was about, I felt pretty good about my learning.

Hebrew and Russian subtitles on TV
Later in the morning I had lunch with Louie and Klara at a swish café close to the Tel Aviv City Hall. I had met them before and was thrilled to see them again. They are very close friends of Rafi’s parents from way back when.  Around us, lots of yummy mummys window shopping at Escada and Laurel. 

Louie & Klara
Louie and Klara have lived in Israel since the 1930s, having escaped from Germany just in time, and had many stories to tell about Israel in the last 70 years. After all, they were “there” at the time of all the events I am learning about by going to museums and classes.

Louie retired many years ago as an executive at El Al. His perspective about the current internal political situation was interesting. He has seen it all, from the Labour Zionist leadership in the 1940s to the 1970s when Unions reigned supreme, to the switch to an open market in the late 1970s. He agrees that without this open economy, Israels’ high tech miracle would not be happening, but he thinks much of the founders’ spirit has been lost and people have become more selfish. He also told me something I keep hearing, that Ethiopian Jews are being unfairly treated and that it will take a generation of their children going through the Army for them to be fully integrated into Israeli society.

Towards the end of our lunch, I took my iPad out to show them some family pictures when Klara said to me, “Is this a 3? I have a 1 and am not sure I should upgrade.” She turns 90 next week.

The afternoon was used with two separate meetings at the same café next door, once with A. and another time with U., and I was (again) quickly reminded of what Dan Senor and Saul Singer write in Stat-up Nation, the Story of Israel’s Economic Miracle: "When an Israeli man wants to date a woman, he asks her out that night. When an Israeli entrepreneur has a business idea, he will start it that week.” Israelis want to move fast - at least in business.

The nice waitress also pointed out I had been there three times today.

In the evening I had the pleasure of being invited for dinner to Hamutal and Simon’s place. Hamutal is Rafi’s cousin’s daughter. I got to meet beautiful 6-month old Danielle.

Hamutal and Simon, with Danielle
They live just outside Ra’anana, in an idyllic place reminiscent of a small village. Only that they are seconds away from Israel’s Silicon Valley, housing companies such as Amdocs, HP, Microsoft, SAP Labs, and so many others.

Simon works for a multinational high tech company focusing on Latin America and Hamutal… also works for a multinational high tech company, in the Training area. Simon said to me it sometimes seems to him that almost everyone in Israel works in high tech.

Almost? 


2 comments:

  1. Love the new post Raquel....I too got a kick out of trying to get through a line of Hebrew subtitles while watching a show in English, and hey, you can window shop my LAUREL collection any time
    at West Blvd & 38th once you're back home!! : )

    ReplyDelete