Saturday 3 March 2012

Lunch for One

Saturday is the day of rest in Israel and Tel Aviv was resting today.

The streets were way quieter than yesterday but not as quiet as I remember Jerusalem gets on Shabbat. Tel Aviv was resting, but wasn't resting in Synagogues.

This morning I walked over to a nearby synagogue (where the website says the rabbi speaks English). At home, I often complain about how cold our synagogue can get. But after today, never again! I cannot possibly overemphasize how cold it was: with the temperature outside hovering around 13 C and no heating, this huge, box-like building with stone floors was a veritable icebox. By the time Kiddush came, I was the first one going for the scotch.  The people were friendly and it turned out that the assistant rabbi had lived in Calgary (it’s starting to look like I will meet one person with ties to Canada per day) so he didn’t think I could really feel that cold after all….

With no lunch invitation, I looked up to the sky not for Divine guidance but to figure where the blue part was coming from, and headed that way. I walked over towards the Mediterranean and then headed South, and walked to Yafo.

The Tel Aviv coastline is lined by the "tayelet", or seaside promenade. It is outstanding, with lots of people-watching opportunities. The walk was about 4 km long, very windy and fairly cold but the brisk pace made it alright. The promenade is dotted with reminders of the war of Independence, among other wars.


(I didn’t take many pictures as I needed to keep my hands in my pocket to stay warm, and I know I will be back many times). 

Yafo/Jaffa is an ancient port citybelieved to be one of the oldest in the world. Jaffa was incorporated with Tel Aviv in 1950 creating the city of Tel Aviv-Yafo. Jaffa is famous for its association with the biblical story of the prophet Jonah and is mentioned in an ancient Egyptianletter from 1440 BCE. Plus the New Testamentaccount of St. Peter'sresurrection of the widow Tabitha takes place in Jaffa.


By the time I reached the square, the sun was shining brightly and I got a chance to enjoy a fresh glass of pomegranate juice (as good as liquid gold, and as expensive).

As I was thinking I should have brought along my sun glasses, it started to rain so I ducked into an Arab restaurant and ordered essentially a ‘feast for one’.


The restaurant was wonderful and had great atmosphere. In the Arabic tradition, you order one main dish and they bring you 10 salads to go with it. Of course, there was way too much food for me to eat, so I took these pictures and emailed them to Rafi.

By the time lunch was done, the rain stopped and I headed back.

4 comments:

  1. With all that rain.... I hear the Kinneret is full of water! Bad for Turists... but so go good for the country!
    Love that you are getting to know Israel at a slower "walking around" way. It is the most amazing way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going with my class to the Kinneret next week...

      Delete
  2. Am so enjoying this travelogue - great words, excellent photos! Lunch looks delicious - you are such a light-weight (that is a compliment:))- would have finished it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, the lack of appetite is probably jet-lag induced... Thank you for the encouraging words.

      Delete